Year of Call: 1998
Degree: University of East Anglia (1994-1997) LLB Hons (2(i))
BVC: Nottingham Law School (1997-1998) (Very Competent)
Julia King was called to the Bar in 1998.
She prosecutes and defends in cases across the full spectrum of criminal offences.
She appears regularly in Crown Courts in the East Midlands but also appears in other courts on the Midland and other circuits.
She is Level 4 prosecutor and regularly prosecutes serious sexual offences including rape, offences involving vulnerable victims or witnesses, serious assaults, robberies and other offences of dishonesty including fraud, serious driving offences and multi-handed cases.
She also defends regularly, particularly in cases involving young defendants, sexual offences including rape, serious driving offences and offences of dishonesty and violence including serious violence. She has experience in defending people with mental health issues.
She also has experience in cases involving confiscation under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2003, those involving prosecutions by HM Revenue and Customs, and those involving prosecutions by local authorities, including, in particular offences relating to Trading Standards and Health and Safety.
She has also advised the CPS Casework Directorate in relation to the prosecution of police officers against whom a complaint had been made.
She has been led on a number of occasions, both prosecuting and defending.
• R v Aaron Record  EWCA Crim 354: Appeal v Sentence. Appeared for Appellant. Re: sexual activity with a child.
• Regina v Shaun Terrance Stredder  EWCA Crim 482: Appeal v Conviction. Appeared for Appellant. Re: robbery; admissibility of conviction of co-accused.
• Regina v Declan Baguley  EWCA Crim 1043: Appeal v Sentence. Appeared for Appellant. Re: sentencing of a youth for a variety of offences.
• Regina v Louis Clark  EWCA Crim 3100: Appeal v Sentence. Appeared for Appellant. Re: driving offences.
• Regina v Harold Johnson  EWCA Crim 3386: Appeal v Sentence. Appeared for Crown. Re: drugs offences and offences of violence.
• Regina v Paul William Thompson  EWCA Crim 270: Appeal v Conviction. Appeared for Appellant. Re: drugs offences.
• Regina v Roll (Edward) No: 00/3949/X3 Court of Appeal Criminal Division 10 November 2000, Westlaw citation: 2000 WL 1918611. Appeared for Appellant. Re: indecent assaults.
Cases of note:
• R v David Heiss: Led junior for the prosecution in high profile murder trial.
• R v Trevon Thomas: Led junior for prosecution in high profile attempted murder trial involving shooting of police officer.
• Operation Core: Led junior for prosecution in large-scale drugs conspiracy involving organised crime group.
• Operation Starburst: Led junior for prosecution in large-scale drugs conspiracy involving organised crime group.
• Operation Guiness: Defence counsel in large-scale conspiracy to supply drugs.
She has undertaken training in:
• Proceeds of Crime Act 2003
• Sexual Offences Act 2003
• Criminal Justice Act 2003
• Human Rights Act 1998